Whether you are a business trying to develop an effective training for your staff, an educator developing a new course or degree program, or an entrepreneur creating a course to sell, appropriate instructional design will help you achieve your goals. A curriculum consultant can help.
As an instructional design consultant, I offer a variety of services to help clients create more effective learning experiences. I can work with you to design your course or training program from scratch, or I can review and revise your existing learning materials. I can also provide guidance on how to select and use instructional technology effectively, and I can provide professional development training on instructional design principles and practices.
I use my deep knowledge of adult learning theory to design educational interventions that are engaging for participants and effective in conveying meaningful material. I also use my project management and planning skills to keep your program planning and implementation on track. I simply love creating spaces where adult learners can thrive, and I’d love to do that work with you as a curriculum consultant or instructional designer on your next project.
I can help you with:
- Identifying learning needs through assessment and observation;
- Articluating learning goals and objectives that can be effectively measured;
- Creating staff onboarding, training, and professional development programs;
- Crafting higher education courses or multi-course curriculum;
- Integrating experiential projects into academic courses;
- Creating professional development courses or sequences for adults;
- Designing effective online courses, trainings, and workshops;
- Designing educational exercises and assignments that are engaging and achieve learning goals;
- Evaluating learning interventions to inform future offerings.
Check out some of my articles on curriculum development to learn more about my style and approach.
Online Course Creation: You have a course that you want to teach online, but you need someone to translate your materials into an online Learning Management System. I have experience in Blackboard, Moodle, Canva, Thinkific, and Teachable (and can learn others quickly) and can help you to turn your in-person course into an effective online program. Along the way, I’ll offer you feedback on your educational design so that you can improve outcomes. To discuss this service, please email me.
Carrie has meaningfully impacted my business in the short time that we’ve been working together! A diamond in the rough, I stumbled upon her website in search of a training and curriculum consultant who could take our educational material and turn it into a high-end, online, scalable course. What I realize now is that Carrie’s incredible talent and eye for strategy FAR surpasses building a product like a course. Her talent touches all aspects of a business – most importantly, its growth! Having Carrie in my corner allows for me to be the visionary that I am, like most business owners, while she strategically improves the way our services are delivered. I look forward to the finished product of our work and partnering together in many more ways in the future!Talia Jacqueline
I contracted Carrie to review an upper-level, undergraduate biology course. Carrie listened to and genuinely understood my concerns and needs. She provided perspective of my course with lenses from both an instructor and student. She helped me redesign my assignments to more deliberately meet my course objectives and integrate concepts, with the goal of improving student engagement. She provided innovative ideas for both assignment structure, facilitation, and assessment. Thanks to Carrie, I have renewed excitement for offering my course. I will absolutely be using her expertise for more of my courses! I highly recommend her course review services.Kerri Cornell Duerr
Associate Professor of Biology and Environmental Science, Westminster College
Carrie joined Common Good Vermont as a consultant and facilitator with CGVT’s Nonprofit Management Certificate Program in the Fall of 2020, during the pandemic. Her educational expertise and experience in facilitation were essential as CGVT navigated a time of transition. Carrie provided short-term programmatic support, helping us to migrate our professional development programs to an online format, and long-term strategic planning support as we envisioned the future of our programs. She was a helpful resource to faculty and students who came to rely on her as they participated in our programs. I highly recommend Carrie and her work serving nonprofits and educational institutions!Morgan Webster, Director
Common Good Vermont
- Back to School: Adults Crave new Learning Experiences, tooAs mid-summer nears, that familiar back-to-school feeling comes to mind for many of us. We don’t have to be teachers, students, or parents to recognize that sense of “returning” that comes with the end of summer heat and the onset of cooler nights. It stays with us throughout our lives, and fall often brings on …
- Designing a Better Self-Guided CourseSelf-guided courses offer promising outcomes for learners and organizations. But desgining an effective self-guided course can be a challenge if you’ve never done it before. What should be included in a self-guided course? What makes self-guided courses more effective for learners? How do you ensure that learners will actually complete the course? How do you …
- Goals and Objectives are Essential for any Learning ExperienceWhether you are planning a course, designing a training experience, or creating an entirely new educational program, learning goals and objectives should be your starting place. They are also the language you use to talk about your program, your guideposts along the way, and the standards by which you measure your impact. They are the …
Let’s Work Together!
Contact me to discuss your organization’s needs or explore a potential project!